Reference: REQUIMTE 2023-05
Main research field: Chemistry
Sub research field: Isolation, structural elucidation, synthesis, and in vitro evaluation of peptides with activity against phytopathogenic agents
1. The Board of Directors of REQUIMTE – Rede de Química e Tecnologia – Associação, has decided to open an international call for positions of PhD holder Researchers, under a work contract for a non-fixed term. This announcement is intended to 1 (one) research position (Reference REQUIMTE 2023-05) on the project PTDC/ASP-PLA/2440/2021 – “KIWIBOL – Looking Beyond KIWIfruit ESCA Complex, to Define a PeptaiBOL-based Strategy to Disease Control”, supported by national funds by FCT/MCTES, to pursue scientific research activities in the area of Chemistry, sub-area of isolation, structural elucidation, synthesis, and in vitro evaluation of peptides with activity against phytopathogenic agents, under a work contract for a non-fixed term, to perform (i) isolation from natural sources, and structural elucidation by proteomics analysis, (i) synthesis, purification and characterization, and (iii) in vitro evaluation of activity against phytopathogenic agents, and of cytotoxicity, of natural antimicrobial peptides, mostly peptaibols originating from Trichoderma spp., and their modified analogues.
2. Applicable Legislation Decree-Law no. 57/2016 of August 29th, amended by Law 57/2017 and Regulatory Decree No. 11- A / 2017 which approved the doctorate hiring regime destined to stimulate scientific and technological employment for all knowledge areas (RJEC); Portuguese Labour Code, approved by Law 7/2009 of February 12, in its actual form.
3. Pursuant to article 13 of RJEC, the tender selection panel is to be formed by: Maria da Conceição Lopes Vieira dos Santos (Full Professor of “Departamento de Biologia da Faculdade de Ciências, Universidade do Porto”, appointed President of the jury by the Director of REQUIMTE), Paula Alexandra de Carvalho Gomes (Associate Professor, with Habilitation, of “Departamento de Química e Bioquímica da Faculdade de Ciências, Universidade do Porto”), and Ana Sofia Martins Gomes (Integrated Researcher of LAQV-REQUIMTE).
4. The workplace shall be at Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade do Porto.
5. Monthly remuneration to be paid is the one set by article 23 (3) of RJEC, corresponding to level 33 of the Single Salary Table, approved by Order no. 1553-C/2008 of December 31st, i.e. 2.206,05 Euros.
6. Application can be submitted by any national, foreign, and stateless candidate(s) holding a doctorate degree in Sustainable Chemistry or related area and a scientific and professional curriculum whose profile is suited for the activity described below (item 7). In case the doctorate degree was awarded by a non-Portuguese higher education institution it must comply with the provisions of Decreto-Lei n.º 66/2018, de 16 de Agosto, and all formalities established therein must be complied with at the signature of work contract.
7. The tender admission requirements are those defined in the previous point 6, and specific requirements are: possess relevant previous experience in isolation from natural extracts, identification via proteomics analysis, chemical synthesis, purification, and in vitro evaluation of peptides, peptide derivatives or peptide analogues, preferentially peptaibols with antimicrobial activity; possess relevant publications in the field of identification, design, synthesis, and study of bioactive compounds, preferably having partial or full peptide nature, and potential interest as anti-infective agents, with particular emphasis on natural peptaibols and modified analogues active against phytopathogenic microorganisms.
8. Pursuant to article 5 of RJEC, the selection is to be made based on the evaluation of the scientific and curricular career of the candidate.
9. Scientific and curricular career evaluation focuses on relevance, quality, and up-to-datedness:
a) of scientific, technological, cultural or artistic production in the last five years, considered most relevant by the candidate;
b) of research activities, fundamental or applied science, developed in the last five years, considered of higher impact by the candidate;
c) of knowledge extension and dissemination activities developed in the last five years, namely under the scope of the promotion of culture and scientific practices, deemed most relevant by the candidate.
d) of activities of science management, technology and innovation programs, or of experience in observing and monitoring the scientific and technological system or higher education, in Portugal or abroad.
10. The five-year period mentioned above can be extended by the panel, if requested by the candidate, whenever the suspension of scientific activities is reasoned by socially protected grounds like paternity leave, long-term serious illness, and other legal situations of unavailability to work.
11. Evaluation criteria are the following:
The evaluation of the CV of the candidates, in particular the scientific merit and research experience will take into consideration the elements presented for the last five years of activity falling within the scope of the specific areas of the tender (see Point 1) and will be performed according to the following criteria:
11.1 integrated assessment of the curriculum trajectory of the candidate, based on an overview of their scientific merits, namely:
I. overall scientific coherence of the CV – 15%
II. diversity and quality of scientific indicators, including relevant published peer-reviewed articles and abstracts in the specific areas of announce (see point 1) – 25%
III. participation in research projects and students’ supervision – 10%
11.2 Relevant experience, proved in CV, in:
I. solid-phase peptide synthesis (manual and automated) – 10%
II. synthesis, purification, and analysis (chromatographic and spectroscopic techniques) of bioactive compounds of partial or full peptidic nature – 10%
III. development of peptides with potential antimicrobial activity against phytopathogenic agents – 10%
IV. isolation from natural sources and identification via proteomics analysis, of antimicrobial
peptaibols – 10%
V. chemical synthesis of antimicrobial peptaibols and modified analogues – 10%
Only candidates who obtain a classification equal to or greater than 50% in the parameters indicated above will be eligible.
12. In the case of admitted candidates whose evaluation does not differ more than 10% from that obtained by the best positioned candidate, the jury will interview these candidates. This will be aimed at obtaining clarifications and explanations about the curricular elements and additional information as well as to evaluate the attitude profile and motivation of the candidate. The final score of each jury member is obtained by the following assessment: 90% scientific and curricular career evaluation and 10% interview.
13. Candidate final classification system shall be given based on a scale 0 to 100.
14. The panel shall deliberate by means of roll-call vote justified under adopted and disclosed selection criteria, with no abstentions allowed.
15. Minutes of panel meetings shall be executed and include a summary of all occurrences of said meeting, as well as of all votes casted by the members and respective reasoning and shall be provided to candidates whenever required.
16. After selection criteria application, the panel shall prepare a sorted list of approved candidates and respective classification.
17. Panel’s final decision shall be validated by the leader of the institution, who is also in charge of deciding about the hiring.
18. Application formalization:
18.1 The applications are formalized at the electronic address https://www.requimte.com/ with following documents in a digital form, in PDF format:
i) curriculum vitae;
ii) motivational Letter;
iii) qualifications certificate;
iv) other relevant documentation.
18.2. The application period is from 13/01/2023 to 26/01/2023.
19. All candidates who formalize their applications in an improper way or fail to prove the requirements imposed by this tender are excluded from admission. In case of doubt, the panel is entitled to request any candidate to present further documentation supporting their statements.
20. False statements provided by the candidates shall be punished by law.
21. Both admitted and excluded candidate list and final classification list shall be published at the address of REQUIMTE (Praça Coronel Pacheco nº 15-6º andar, Porto), in the website of the Institute and the selected candidate shall be notified by email.
22. Preliminary Hearing and Final Decision Deadline: After publication, all candidates have 10 working days to respond. Panel’s final decisions are pronounced within a period of 90 working days, from response period deadline.
23. This tender is exclusively destined to fill this specify position and can be terminated at any time until approval of final candidate list, expiring with the respective occupation of said position.
24. Non-discrimination and equal access policy: REQUIMTE actively promotes a nondiscrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
25. The panel has approved this announcement in meeting held on 10/01/2023.
26. According to Decree-Law no. 29/2001 of 3 February, disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal classification, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication/expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
27. The selection of candidate to be hired is determined by orientations and regulations issued by Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia upon verification of all legal requirements. REQUIMTE is entitled to cancel the present process in case the legal requirements are not fulfilled.